Friday, May 8, 2015

Things My Grandma Taught Me!

I was richly blessed to have had a wonderful grandma. My grandma was the glue that kept our family together. She made every holiday memorable, sleepovers special, and visits delicious. I remember going to her house and always seeing yummy treats of some sorts. Treats ranged from candy to cakes an homemade pies. My grandma was the best pie maker I’ve ever known. If my brother and I were ever in trouble with our parents and our punishment was no dessert, my grandma would work her magic to have our punishment changed.

            Christmas at my grandma’s house was beyond amazing. She had a piano room that would be filled from floor to ceiling every year with gifts from everyone.  The most special gifts were the ones she made us. She was a talented knitter, seamstress, baker, cook and organ player.
            My grandma was unfortunately diagnosed with breast cancer at a young age. She had a mastectomy in one breast and underwent chemotherapy and radiation. I can still remember when she lost her hair due to the chemo. She insisted on wearing this beautiful white wig most days. She remained positive and strong through all her sickness and treatments. After a year to treatments we believed she was in remission. This, however, was not God’s will for her. The doctors found that the cancer had spread into the other breast. Chances of remission were slim to none and less than a painful and tearful year later on November 26, 1996, my grandma went home to be with the Lord.
         

   The life my grandma led taught me so much about the woman I want to be. She taught me:
·      Always put God first
·      Stay strong no matter what the circumstance- you can get through anything with God on your side
·      Family is important. Always keep family close and be there for them when needed
·      It’s never God’s fault- Like Job my grandma refused to blame God for her sickness and other ups and downs in life. She always gave God the praise even in the toughest of times. She knew that God had a plan for her and His plan was always perfect.
·      Always respect and treat your spouse right. When I was 16 I came across a tape of her speaking at a woman's conference about marriage. Her advice resonates with me today as I enjoy my marriage and family.
·      Be yourself
·      You’re beautiful no matter what. She went bald due to chemo and was still just as beautiful as she was when she had a head full of gorgeous white locks.
·      She taught me funny stuff like blow your nose on your sleeve (this was taught to 5 year old me) and passing gas when you exercise is normal when you get older. You just laugh it off keep on exercising.



My grandma was such an amazing woman of God. I am blessed and better for having had her for the 9 short years of the beginning of my life. Even though she is gone from this earth, she is still watching from above. I know I will never stop learning from her. I love and miss the incredible woman I still call Grandma Jean. Happy Mothers Day Grandma Jean. You are incredibly missed and always loved.