Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Pinterest Plunders: Cool Whip Egg Dyeing

Pinterest Plunders! The place where Pinterest Pins get recreated and rated a Pass or Plunder. Sometimes they Pass the test of DIY Divas and sometimes this DIY Diva plunders those pins (but not purposely- I really try my best to recreate pins I like).

This week is Easter! The week of egg dyeing, Easter baskets, and celebrating Christ's resurrection. A pretty cool little pin about egg dyeing came across my computer screen yesterday and the hubby and I just had to try it out. We decided to let our little girl help and use it as a sensory craft for her sensory disorder. She had fun but for some reason didn't consider the project as a craft and didn't care for getting her hands "dirty". 


This is what the cool whip colored eggs are supposed to look like once dyed. Ours turned out ... Well take a look. 

We started out with boiling our eggs in vinegar and water. After they cooled we patted them dry and then began to dye them. We mixed 1/2 tbs vinegar with 5 drops of food coloring. 
Next we laid a layer of cool whip into a cake pan about an inch thick. Once we completed this step we poured the dye into the cool whip and mixed it in. 
After mixing the dye and cool whip together, we had Maddie bury the eggs. Silly girl was scared to get her hands dirty and after some prompting from mama (more like I shoved her hand into the pan) she began to... No not bury the eggs. Instead she flung what was on her hands all around my kitchen. We had to clean her hands as quickly as possible before she painted my fridge blue.



After successfully burying the eggs, we waited 20 minutes and then rinsed them off. We patted them dry and voila! A beautiful batch of dyed Easter eggs. Now, they aren't as dark or bright as Passion For Savings' video, but they turned out beautifully. 
I would say that this Pinterest Plunder was a PASS! The Pinterest Pin I found this craft from was: http://www.passionforsavings.com/how-to-dye-Easter-eggs-with-cool-whip
If you have a Pinterest Pin you would like me to recreate, please comment with a link to the pin and I'd be more than happy to give it a try.