Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Overcoming Toddlers Failure to Thrive Part 3

So recently I purchased a book to help us gain more insight on our daughters extreme picky eating and how we can help her overcome her failure to thrive classification. Remember the “Helping Your Child with Extreme Picky Eating” by Katja Rowell, MD and Jenny McGlothlin, MS, SL. Well…. I got the book! Yay! I had to find time to read it, which I somehow managed. I guess waiting for doctors, insomnia and my parents watching my kiddos makes for great reading time.  This book gave me such great insight into the different aspects of kids with picky eating. I always thought it was just kids being picky. Did you know that picky eating can be related to kids with sensitivities to foods and textures?! They could also have problems with their oral motor functions meaning they never learned how to fully chew their food.  Factors of pressures to eat (which is bad), not knowing their own bodies (or knowing that they are even hungry), and lack of
routine play a part in picky eating as well.
            After reading this book I am more aware of the pressures our children are faced with when learning and growing. I mean, when you normally think of kids you think they have it so easy. They don’t have bills to pay and responsibilities to worry about, but in reality they do. They have growing responsibilities and that can put a lot of pressure on them.  This book describes the many different reasons why our children are so picky with their food and how to help them overcome them. They describe the different sensitivity levels and how to stop pressuring the child to eat. I didn’t realize this was such an issue with children until I started poking around on the internet and talking to other people. Oddly there are a ton of kids out there with sensitivity issues. Our cable guy overhead my husband and I talking about our daughter and the book and told us his son has sensitivity issues.

       

  I don’t wish other parents or children to have to deal with this but I am glad we aren’t alone. There are blogs and many people out there who can help.  I guess I am writing all of this and telling you our story to help others. Maybe it will help you gain insight where your doctor has failed to diagnose your child correctly with an eating problem. Maybe you know your child has an eating issue and think you’re alone in your struggle to help your child. Trust me there are many people going through this. I hope the story of our journey in overcoming our child’s picky eating and sensitivities will help you. I would love to hear your stories as well! Please feel free to message me and share your success stories or current journey.