Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Pinterest Plunders: Christmas Tissue Paper Trees

Pinterest Plunders! The place where Pinterest Pins get recreated and rated a Pass or Plunder. Sometimes they Pass the test of DIY Divas and sometimes this DIY Diva plunders those pins (but not purposely- I really try my best to recreate pins I like).

So I have been seeing everywhere these adorable miniature cone shaped trees. These little trees are so cute but can get pretty expensive. I have shopped around and seen them being sold for $25 a piece! I have always wanted a set of three different sized trees but couldn't afford them (I mainly didn't want to part with the money because I'm cheap- or er.. thirfty). So one day I was browsing through Pinterest (as I do pretty often) and noticed a post on how to make these adorable elf sized trees. I said to myself, "Candace, you can make these! They don't look that hard!" So I re-pinned the post and began my research. In all honesty these weren't hard to make at all! Well, if you don't take into account the burn blisters I received from the hot glue gun, the amount of time it took to make them and battling pieces of tissue paper away from the cat.

So here it begins. I started off with making a trip to the Dollar Tree and purchasing these items:

  1. 2 large poster board papers
  2. tissue paper- 3 different colors 
  3. three plastic solo cups- which I already had
  4. hot glue gun and glue sticks- Also had already
I started out by cutting the poster board into three parts. Each part a little larger than the other. Then I rolled them into cones and glued them in place. After rolling them, I set inside (through the bottom of the cone) a solo cup. I cut around the bottom of the poster board to make it even with the cup and then taped them together. The cup allows the tree to stand evenly and helps the cone keep its shape.


After making your cone, cut each color of tissue paper into 1 1/2 inch strips.
Like so:

After you have your strips cut you can begin assembling your trees. I have three different designs for mine so I had to assemble them differently. For two of the trees I twisted the paper:


I started this particular tree by twisting the pieces of paper and making them into circles. I made small and large circles and began to alternate them throughout the cone. You may notice that the cone is gold. I wrapped some of the gold tissue paper around the cone so that you couldn't see any red spots.
The second tree I made by cutting the 1 1/2 inch strips into 1 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch squares. Using a pencil I would loosely wrap a piece around the eraser, apply a small dab of glue and press it against the cone. This took a long time but was much easier to do than the other trees.
The last tree I made was the green tree and it was pretty easy. I twisted each piece of tissue paper strip and glued them in place around the cone (overlapping ends to give it a seamless appearance). I love my little trees and they make a great addition to my Christmas Decor. I did all of this for under $6.

The end result:

To store I put them in a grocery bag and laid them in a plastic tote.  I would say that this Pinterest Plunder was a Pass! The Pinterest post I found these from is: http://acreativemomma.blogspot.com/2010/12/tissue-christmas-trees.html
If you have any Pinterest Pins that you would like me to try out please feel free to send them to me.